Thursday, October 29, 2015

Get a Grip, Wherever You Are


In a yoga class last week, Daniel, our teacher, led us through a series of deep leg stretches. He kept saying, "Get a grip, wherever you are." On the surface, he meant to hold on to our legs, whether that was our ankles or our knees. But it meant so much more.

"Get a grip." We use this phrase to tell people to calm down, to get in touch with reality, or to get some perspective. It's not often received as a positive phrase; more often we hear it when someone is exasperated with us.


"Get a grip, wherever you are," is a much gentler phrase. It reminds us to keep perspective, or regain
Image from
www.dailyperricone.com
perspective, and accept where we are in our journey today. Today. Not tomorrow, not next year, and certainly not yesterday, but today. I need this reminder more often lately. I need to come to grips with my kids getting older and pushing for more autonomy, but still needing me; with the likelihood of our son not getting accepted to our alma mater; with the detours in my career path; with my aching knee and squishy belly; and with my cluttered office. Get a grip.

I have a wonderful family, a house, a car, an income, and we are all healthy. It may not be the house of my dreams or a new car or the wealth I would like, but it is all fine. In the big picture, I'm fine. We're fine, and in so many ways we're thriving.

Today in class, Daniel asked us to stretch and bend and get uncomfortable. He instructed us on Plow Pose. Plow Pose is uncomfortable for me both physically and mentally; I allowed all sorts of negative thoughts into my mind today. And just when I was feeling the lowest of my morning practice, Daniel asked us to sit up and practice self-acceptance. He asked that we embrace our whole selves, even those "problem" areas that we usually grumble about: our knees, our midsections, our legs. Embrace my whole self and body and accept it all and be kind. How did he know? Did he see me scowl at my belly rolls that were threatening to suffocate me in Plow Pose? Did he see me wince at my stubborn stiff hip in Pigeon Pose? I guess it doesn't matter why Daniel led us to a place of self-acceptance. It does matter that I went there and felt release and love for myself and almost cried because I am often so hard on myself.

Today I will continue to work on my grip. I will accept where I am today, and I will accept where my kids and husband are today. I will love myself as I should. And wherever you are, I hope you get a grip, too.



(c) Copyright 2010-2016. Erika JN Fish. Car Mama. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment