Car Mama's 2010 Gift Guide, Part III, has gift ideas for Grandma and Grandpa. In our families, the grandparents don't need much, nor do they ask for much. We like to have our kids think of fun things to give along with a donation to Heifer International or Kiva. The good news about buying for grandparents is they have good manners and will never tell you if they don't like the gift.
Before we had children I didn't know what a "Brag Book" was. Our mothers were quick to point out that they needed to fill their "Brag Books" and that I should keep the photos coming. With that in mind, I suggest items for Grandma that shout "I'm a proud Grandma!" And a few practical things as well.
- Travel Mug with Photos of Grandkids
- Key Ring Helper (good for arthritic fingers)
- Digital Photo Key Chain from Red Envelope
- A gift to Kiva, Heifer International or a local charity
- License Plate Frame
- Tissue Holder & Litter Bag (keeps the tissue box out of the back window)
- A 2011 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon (Warn her about the powerful engine. My mom had a Turbo Volvo wagon and got a speeding ticket or two.)
Grandpa's are cool and gifts for Grandpa should also be cool. Don't get me wrong, Grandma's are wonderful and loving and I had two perfect Grandmothers. But they are typically more "huggy" and practical. Grandpa's know how to build stuff and fix broken things, they don't care if you get muddy, they like watching car races, and they don't necessarily talk that much. A trip to Fenton's for ice cream with Grandpa is all together different than a trip with Grandma. Grandpa will take you to Home Depot first and let you have a Banana Split if you ask nicely. Grandma would likely be thinking of tummy aches and how long til your next sensible meal.
- Cool Coin Collector (my Grandpa B. had one of these and I LOVED it)
- NASCAR baseball cap (I think the Cheerios hat is appropriate for a toddler to gift)
- Or a wool Kangol cap (style Wool 504 was introduced in 1954) if Grandpa is like my dad
- A donation to Kiva, Heifer International or a local charity
- A trip to Fenton's Creamery
- For a fisherman, a Cyprinus Carpio hat, shirt or mouse pad from Chinook Design, Inc. on Zazzle.com
- License Plate Frame
- Custom Floor Mats
- Revell model car kit like a 1964 Mustang Convertible
- An organized garage with locks so Grandma doesn't "steal" any tools. I found Gladiator GarageWorks via a Forbes.com gift list. Check out http://www.carguygarage.com/ for tons of options (maybe just a catalog from Car Guy Garage would be sufficient).
- A 2011 Nissan Frontier Pick-up Truck with a topper (Crew Cab if Grandpa helps cart the Grandkids around)
Thanks to Edmunds.com and Car Mama for the photos.
(c) Copyright 2010-2016. Erika JN Fish. Car Mama. All Rights Reserved.